If so, how did you choose the seat that you think is right for you, your child and your vehicle?
Are you using a seat that was handed down? Has the seat been a vehicle that has been involved in an accident? All of these are good questions and one that every parent should indeed address before placing their child in a car seat. With so many choices and brands on the market it is tough to know which is the right one.
Here are a couple of quick facts to keep in mind:
- Choose a car seat that is based on your child’s size and weight.
- Choose a seat that comfortably fits the seat in your vehicle.
- Rule of thumb is children up to 8 years old or 80lbs should be in a car seat or booster seat.
- Children under 20lbs should be in a rear facing seat.
- Children under 12 or under 5 feet tall and 120lbs should always ride in the back seat.
- If your vehicle is involved in an accident, dispose of your car seat and purchase a new one.
If you are unsure of how to properly fasten a car seat in your vehicle, do not take a chance, stop in to your local police station and an officer will be happy to assist you.
For more information visit the Parents Central From Car Seats to Car Keys, Keeping Kids Safe page or contact your local police.
The Salerno Duane Auto Group is family owned & operated with locations in Denville, East Brunswick, Summit and Randolph, NJ and is dedicated to the safety of each and every one of our customers and their family.